In this article, you will know the easiest way to import Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 MOV files to Final Cut Pro X, and you can edit Canon 5Ds and 5Ds files with Apple ProRes codec in FCP X.
Not long ago, canon released its new DSLR cameras to replace old 5D Mark III, the two cameras are Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R, the two cameras used many new technology and features, which will help you to get higher quality photos and videos. From Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R official product pages you will know that Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R can record full HD 1080p videos for you, they used the Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors, video quality is guaranteed.
Highlights of Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R
- Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
- 50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- 3.2″ 1,040K-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
- ISO 100-6400; 5.0 fps Burst Shooting
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
- Anti-Flicker Compensation
- 150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
- Dual Compact Flash and SD Media Slots
How to edit Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files in FCP X natively?
Most users would choose to use Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R to record full HD videos, after you bought the Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R, have you recorded some clips with it? The Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R will help you to capture high quality videos, the recordings are in H.264 MOV format. FCP X is the most popular editing program on Mac platform, so you may have the need to import recorded Canon 5Ds and 5Ds H.264 files to FCP X for editing, but if you have tried to do importing and editing, you may have found that Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files are not well supported by Final Cut Pro X, you can’t edit the files smoothly, what’s the reason? It is because Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R recorded videos are in H.264 codec, which is not native editing codec for Final Cut Pro X. In this case, how to edit Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files in FCP X natively? The best way is to convert Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files to Apple ProRes 422 codec, which is native editing codec for Final Cut Pro X.
Convert Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files to Apple ProRes codec for FCP X
As you need to convert Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 files to Apple ProRes codec, you will need to use Apple ProRes converter, here we recommend you to use Acrok HD Video Converter for Mac, it is the top Apple ProRes converter on the market, it can convert nearly all the HD videos to Apple ProRes codec for FCP X, supported HD videos include MOV, MTS, M2TS, MXF, MPG, MP4, AVI, etc. besides native output format for FCP X, you can also convert Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R recordings to other editing programs and playable devices, such as DNxHD codec for Avid Media Composer, WMV/MOV for Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS6/CS5, AIC codec for iMovie, and compatible formats for iPad, iPhone, Android tablets, Android smartphones, etc. once you get this powerful Acrok HD Video Converter, you don’t need to worry about video format problems anymore. You can use it to convert H.264 to FCP X, convert MTS to FCP 7, convert MTS to Avid Media Composer, etc.
Easy steps to convert Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R to FCP X
1. Free download Acrok HD Video Converter for Mac software from our website, install it on your Mac. Besides Mac version, Windows version is also available to download and use, which will help you to convert videos on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows XP, etc.
2. Please click “Add Files” button on the top left corner to load the Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R videos that you want to convert, you can add batch files into the software for converting.
3. Click format bar to choose Apple ProRes codec for output. Just click and choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov), this format is the best format for FCP X, and Apple ProRes codec is native codec for Final Cut Pro.
4. Customization is available in this Canon 5Ds / 5Ds R to FCP X converter, you can click the settings button on the main interface to adjust the bitrate, resolution, frame rate, etc. you can also skip this step, because the parameters are presetted.
5. Click convert button on the interface, Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R H.264 to FCP X conversion will begin immediately.
When the Canon 5Ds / 5Ds R to FCP X converter finished the Apple ProRes conversion, you can get the converted Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R files by clicking “Open Folder” button, and then you can import the videos into FCP X for editing smoothly.